1/06/2010

Julie and Julia


I just finished reading this book on Sunday night while half watching the football game (there wasn't much going on in that game honestly worth watching). I have mixed reviews about the book, and can honestly not give a definitive response as to whether I would or would not recommend it to others.

If you haven't already seen the previews of the movie that is out now based on her blog and this book, in general it is following a woman who is lost in her life and so she decides that she is going to cook all of the recipes in Julia Childs Mastering the Art of French Cooking book in one year. She hopes that in a years time she will be able to figure out what she is doing with her life and that devoting herself to a lengthy goal will help her get there.

Overall, it was a very easy read. The writer is very cynical, sarcastic, and curses far too much, but there were many times that I laughed out loud at the things she was attempting. She jumped around a lot with timelines and even within chapters, she would start at one timeframe, hop backwards to explain something from weeks before but not really explain that she had hopped time, and then hop back. There were a few places I had to re-read parts to keep on track. And there were lots of add-ins with her job and with her friends that just felt like filler material moreso that added value to the overall story.
The major complaint that I suppose I have with this book, the same with the book The Soloist, is that 99% of the time, a book far surpasses the movie made about it. This book unfortunately does not meet that standard, and even though I have still not seen the movie (that's my thing....read the book then see the movie, just haven't gotten the time yet), I believe hands-down that the movie is going to be better.

So, of course, if you're a reader, I would tell you to read it, but as far as a standing ovation or pushy recommendation.....it would be to rent the DVD.

~Lindsey

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love your input!!