4/20/2011

My Do Good of the Month: Walk for MS

I've been needing to add "volunteer" to my personal expectations here recently.  Working at one of the largest hospital conglomerations in the country made the task so easy that I'm a little lot embarrassed that it's taken me this long to act.  I decided to give up my Saturday morning to instead give to the Walk for the MS in Milstadt, IL which was the closest walk location to home.  Last year, I was a participant in the Walk for MS at JMU while I was there for Low-Key's 10-year reunion.  This year, I helped make the event as memorable as it was for me last year for all of the participants in St Louis this year.

When we woke up Saturday morning, the weather was dreadful.  It was the perfect stay snuggled up in bed, listening to the rain fall on the roof, reading a book, snoozing through the day kinda Saturday.  I would be lying if I said I didn't consider backing out of going, but then I thought about the fact that those who are battling everyday with MS don't get a choice to have or not have MS for the day.  It was then very easy for me to crawl myself out of bed and start finding suitable rain-and-gusting-wind outdoor clothing. 


I helped set up tents, hang balloons, greet walkers, and then register the 210 participants who showed up for the walk.  It was such an amazing turnout for such a small town in the country-side of Illinois. 



I hope that I am able to volunteer again next year.  It was mentally and emotionally draining, but it was so worth it.  It's all the small things in life that make it so amazing. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love your input!!