8/24/2010

Chicago: Saturday and Sunday

We got up very early Saturday morning, much to Terry and Emily's dismays.  First stop was breakfast at a diner the hotel recommended.  It was a hole-in-the-wall and our waitress was, well, nevermind, but the food was fairly decent.  I think this was Terry still yelling at me for getting us all up so early. :-)


Then we headed down to the riverwalk to sign up for a boat cruise.  We chose a 90-minute cruise that went out onto the Lake as well as through the canals.  I got some great shots of the city skyline. 

Navy Pier
John Hancock Building

So many drawbridges, it was really pretty by boat

After the cruise, we went back for a nap at the hotel, then got ourselves together to go down to the Chicago Bears / OAKLAND RAIDERS football game at Soldier Field.  We didn't buy tickets in advance just assuming that there were going to be plenty of scalpers around.  Well we assumed wrong.  We may have just not known where the scalpers were hiding, but there were none to be found and we walked almost the entire perimeter of the stadium.  We stood in the will-call line at the stadium to try and buy visitor seats, but when we got to the front of the line, which was already 30 minutes into the game, they said that the tickets were $68 a piece.  Needless to say, we did not pay that for a preseason game where all the starters had probably finished for the game already. 
We ended up walking to a local White Sox / Bears bar nearby with plenty of TV's and watched the first half there.  Our view on the walk though was pretty incredible though. 


We cabbed it back to the hotel and Terry went up to finish watching the game while Em and I had dinner in the hotel restaurant (I had prosciutto wrapped scallops with spicy mustard aioli and a white chocolate and dill sauce, Em had Seafood Tempura Misto which was tempura battered shrimp, scallops, octopus and fresh asparagus with udon noodles and a soy citrus sauce........it was SO GOOD!)  We got to bed early as it was just a very long day of sightseeing and we still had more in the morning. 

Millenium Park was on the agenda for Sunday as well as Gino's East Chicago Deep Dish Pizza!!  Em has all the great pictures of us with The Bean.  Here's the only one I have on my camera.  Will update shortly.

We walked all through the park, it is so fantastic, wish we had that in St. Louis!  Then, there was an enormous Art Fair going on, so we spent some time awing at paintings we couldn't afford.  We walked down to Buckingham Fountain after.  Terry and I fell in love with all the foliage, especially the red hostas...well I dont know if they're hostas but that's my story until I find out otherwise.  


So vibrant!!

We hailed a cab back to our car, then headed for lunch to Gino's East to get Chicago Deep Dish Pizza before we left.  Oh sweet lord it was so good!!!  I didn't take any pictures because I was stuffing my face the entire time, but again once I get Em's pics, I will post them. 

Overall, an incredible trip.  So many things we got to do and see and experience.  Great memories together with a great friend and a great boyfriend.  Wonder where the next adventure will be??  Suppose I should start planning!! :-)

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love your input!!